EFA Legislative Alert, May 16, 2006
Dear Eagles and Friends:
Please call the Governor’s office at (907) 465-3500 and tell Governor Frank Murkowski that you would like him to call a special session of the legislature so that they can pass a resolution putting the same-sex marriage benefits issue on the ballot in November of this year.
- The Governor needs to have a “Ronald Reagan” moment and do the bold thing and act now!
- If he does nothing, the soonest we could vote on a constitutional amendment would be November, 2008 and by then the state will have been paying spousal benefits to homosexual partners of state employees for over two years!
- If Governor Murkowski does nothing, private business will be forced to pay spousal benefits to homosexuals just like they do to their married employees.
- The House and Senate were each only a couple of votes shy of attaining the 2/3 majority needed to pass a constitutional amendment.
- The Governor spotlighting this issue would help those on the fence to make up their mind and vote the will of their constituents.
- The marriage amendment passed by almost 70% in 1998 making marriage between one man and one woman the ONLY marriage recognized by the state.
- The Alaska Supreme Court ignored the Constitution when they voted 5-0 last October to force the state to pay spousal benefits to homosexual couples.
- This ruling by the court only adds homosexual couples to the list of those receiving marriage benefits, as though they are married!
- The Governor does not have a mind to call a special session at this point but his office is getting calls and they need to get more calls to make him to understand how important this issue is!
Please call Governor Frank Murkowski at 907 465 3500 and send this email to your list!
Working for the family,
President, Eagle Forum Alaska
To subscribe to this email alert, email Debbie