EFA Legislative Alert, March 27, 2006
Dear Eagles and Friends:
In respect to SB20, Unborn Victims of Violence bill (Laci & Connor), I havesome thoughts to share and then I ask that after reading them you will callmembers of the House Judiciary committee and let them know how importantpassing this bill is to you. I have been waiting to send this alert and Ithink that now it is necessary to ask you to call again every member of thatcommittee except Rep. John Coghill and ask that they:
Take SB20 off the table and pass it with no amendments at the HouseJudiciary committee meeting tomorrow (3-27-06).
Remember to be polite.
Rep. Les Gara has said that he supports adding pregnancy as an aggravator in a criminal assault on a woman but he “will fight with every fiber of hisbeing” any attempt that would, in his mind, chip away at Roe v. Wade. In simple language, Rep. Gara wants the murder of a pregnant woman and her unborn child to be charged as ONE VERY BAD MURDER. We want it to be chargedas TWO MURDERS. He is concerned that passing SB20 will help to bring about the downfall of Roe v. Wade. I wish that it would, but it won’t and here is why:
· Roe v. Wade is a federal decision and there is already a federal Laci andConnor law in our country. If the federal law would not chip away at Roe then neither can the state law.
· There is concern that SB20 acknowledges the “personhood” of the unborn by protecting them from criminal assault. We already recognize the personhoodof the unborn in many other ways. We provide Denali Kid Care funding forpregnant women because we acknowledge the value of their wanted unborn child.
· Roe gives a woman the “choice” to abort an “unwanted pregnancy” but does not mandate that she do so. Because a woman has the option of aborting her “unwanted pregnancy” does not mean that she can expect no protection in the law for her “wanted pregnancy”.
· The federal Laci & Connor bill passed the U.S. Senate by 61-38. Obviously some Democrats voted for the bill and it passed easily from a body not known for being “pro-life”.
· The word “person” is legally defined differently for different purposes (sometimes as “corporations”). Even if we were to define an unborn child as a “person”, we would be prohibited by Roe v. Wade from providing protection that would challenge the rights of the pregnant mother.
Please call the following members of House Judiciary and ask them to take up SB20 and pass it with no amendments:
Rep. Pete KottToll Free: 1-800-861-5688
Rep. Peggy WilsonToll Free: 1-800-686-3824
Rep. Tom AndersonToll free: 1-800-465-4939fax: 1-907-465-2418
Rep. Lesil McGuireToll Free: 1-800-365-2995fax:1-907-465-6592
Rep. Les GaraToll Free: 1-888-465-2647fax: 1-907-465-3518
Rep. Max GruenbergToll Free: 1-866-465-4940fax: 1-907-465-3766
Thank you for all you do.
Working for the family,
President, Eagle Forum Alaska
To receive EFA Legislative Alerts in your inbox, send a request to Debbie Joslin.